Dr. V N Bagadia (1922 – 2009)
Dr. V N Bagadia was the initiator, originator and the guiding force behind the BPS in its present form, and in its formative years. One of the pioneers in the field, he was active at zonal and national levels. He also contributed through his association with WHO, WPA, Royal College, APA, ICMR and Department of Neurobiology [GOI]. He was Professor and Head of Department of Psychiatry at KEM hospital, and also was attached to Bombay Hospital and Central Railway Hospital. He had keen interest in Research, Teaching, Community Psychiatry, and Psychosomatic disorders.
Dr. V N Bagadia – BPS Lifetime Achievement Award
Bombay Psychiatric Society confers the Dr. V. N. Bagadia – BPS Lifetime Achievement Award annually. This was instituted in 1996 in recognition of his contribution to the field of Psychiatry and BPS.
The following are the ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA for application:
- Service (innovative work, new service development, community work)
- Teaching & training (academic/other teaching/public awareness)
- Research: Good Quality research publications in indexed journals, presentations at national / international fora are desirable but not mandatory.
1. Any psychiatrist in the country who has at least 30 years experience of continuous service in the field of mental health.
2. The person must be at least 60 years of age at the time of application and from India and his work should have been within this country.
3. Experience includes: Exceptional work in clinical or service related field or teaching and training is also desirable.
Applications received in the last 5 years (year 2008 & thereafter) will remain valid for consideration and applicants need not reapply. Selection will be done by the Awards Committee of BPS. The award consists of a memento & a scroll of honour. It is necessary for the recipient to be present on the annual day of BPS. BPS will provide for one night’s accommodation in Mumbai, if required.